Propane gas enjoys one of the safest track records of any form of home energy – but like any fuel source you need to take precautions when using it, especially during severe weather.
7 Propane Safety Tips During Extreme Weather
Here are seven things you can do to keep your family safe during extreme summer weather in Western New York.
- Create an emergency preparedness plan. A detailed emergency plan is a must for any family. Need some tips for preparing one? Check out these resources from the Department of Homeland Security’s ready.gov website.
- Check propane gas and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors at least twice a year. These devices provide essential protection for your family in the event of a propane leak or equipment malfunction. Follow manufacturer instructions regarding installation, location, and maintenance.
- Make sure your propane tank is securely anchored. If you have an above ground propane tank, always make sure it is anchored with cables to a solid (preferably concrete) base.
- Consider installing a tank dome. Tank domes do a great job protecting your propane tank’s valves and fittings from hail, debris, and falling tree limbs during a strong storm (they’re available for aboveground and underground tanks). To learn more about tank domes, contact us.
- Always listen to local authorities. Severe thunderstorms and other extreme weather can develop quickly. Charge electronic devices and have extra batteries for emergency radios; don’t assume that you’ll have access to the internet or your cellphone!
- If you are ordered to evacuate, use extreme caution when returning to your property. Look for downed power lines, damaged gas lines, or damage to your propane tank. If your propane tank becomes dislodged from its service line, it could be leaking gas. Do NOT go near it; call 911 and contact us immediately. Debris and water can also leak into regulators and controls, causing potential safety issues.
- When inspecting equipment, always put safety first. Always follow these guidelines when inspecting your equipment after a severe weather incident:
- Never use a candle when inspecting your equipment.
- Never turn on a light switch, use any power source, when re-entering your home after an outage.
- Never inspect your household appliances while standing in water.
- Never attempt propane repairs yourself.
If you suspect any of your propane appliances or propane equipment has been damaged by weather or flooding, contact us immediately. If you have turned off your gas supply, YOU MUST contact us to do an inspection and pressure test on your equipment before we can restore service (it’s the law!).
Be safe in any weather with help from Irish Propane. Contact us today to learn more about safe propane delivery Rochester and Buffalo, NY.
Propane is a great fuel to power just about any appliance, year-round, inside your Buffalo- or Rochester-area home – but during the summer, propane really shows its versatility by powering pool heaters, fire tables, lighting fixtures, and other items outside your home.
With all that summer propane flowing, it’s important to make sure you’re staying on top of propane safety so you can sit back and enjoy your fireside star gazing and long, warm spa soaks.
In the spirit of National Safety Month, here are six important summer reminders for your propane-powered Western New York State home and outdoor space:
- Leave space around propane-burning equipment – Keep your propane grill, space heater or fire pit at least three feet from building openings and ten feet from any air intake device to minimize the chance of a propane gas or carbon monoxide leak entering your home. Keep propane equipment away from flammable materials such as fences, wood, and vinyl siding, as well as from any materials that emit combustible fumes (paint, oil, finishing products, etc.).
- Store propane cylinders properly – If you use refillable propane cylinders, always store them upright – with valves on top and covered – and outdoors (never inside garages, storage sheds, etc). If you have old propane cylinders sitting around, gather them for propane tank recycling.
- Always hire professional contractors for propane equipment installations – Propane equipment installations are subject to a range of regulations, codes, and standards. To make sure your propane equipment meets them, skip the DIY and hire a certified propane professional.
- Maintain your equipment regularly – Professional maintenance for propane equipment will spot problems that could cause safety risks for your family – be sure to have your propane equipment, including your propane tank, inspected and serviced every year.
- Practice proper grill safety – Grills are responsible for more than 10,000 house fires – not to mention thousands of injuries – every year, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Check out this video for more NFPA propane grilling safety tips.
- Review propane safety tips with your family – Summer is a great time for a short refresher course on propane safety: be sure your family knows what to do in the event of a propane emergency, especially if you suspect a propane gas leak.
June is National Safety Month – be sure to practice propane safety inside and outside your Buffalo or Rochester home! Contact us today if you have any propane safety questions so you can enjoy a worry-free summer 2019!
[avatar user=”Greg Wasson” size=”75″ /]Residential propane service from Irish Propane is nothing new. In fact, we have provided this service in Buffalo, NY since the 1980’s. First though, a little propane history.
What is propane?
Propane is a hydrocarbon and is at times referred to as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). Propane is produced by crude oil refining and natural gas processing. Over 95% of propane used in the US is produced in North America. It is colorless and non-toxic. As with natural gas, an identifying odor that smells like rotten eggs is added so the gas can be detected by smell.
Who uses propane gas?
Propane is used by over 12.6 million U.S. households for heating and by millions more for agricultural crop drying, commercial fork-lifts, industrial temp-heat construction sites, and Autogas for transportation fleets.
What can propane fuel in your home?
Propane is a clean, versatile fuel that is frequently found in homes for home heat, water heating, cooking, fireplaces, and clothes drying. Outdoors, propane can heat swimming pools and hot tubs.
Why Residential Propane from Irish Propane?
Purchasing propane to heat your home from Irish Propane has many benefits. First of all, you will always get a Fair and Honest price from us. Gone are the days of worrying about price haggling from one season to the next. With us, you will feel better knowing that you’re always guaranteed the best price for propane. Second, Service. Buying your residential propane from an experienced, locally-owned, fourth generation family business benefits you because our service is round the clock 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you call us for service, you will talk to an experienced manager or owner of the company that cares about the safety of your family. You will have Peace Of Mind as a result.
What assurances do I have about properly trained technicians?
Propane is used safely by millions of Americans and stored, handled, and transported by thousands of well trained professionals every day. That safety comes from stringent codes, regulations and by the propane industry’s extensive training and safety awareness programs. The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) and the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) operate the Certified Employee Training Program (CETP) through which propane technicians train and get certified in all aspects of delivering propane, installing and servicing propane equipment. We update and conduct our training programs frequently to ensure that our technicians are equipped with the most current safety procedures and information available in the industry.
Where is our coverage area?
We service, install, and deliver throughout all of Western New York and much of Central New York. To view the map and the towns we go to, click here.
The ease of becoming a new Irish Propane customer.
Get a quote from us by telephone at 716.852.3335 or by filling out a short form from our website found here. Furthermore, signup is done in person, by mail, or electronically.
Delivery and payment options designed with you in mind.
Customers who prefer to spread the cost of over a 12-month period have the option to enroll in our Budget Billing program.
We also can check your usage and schedule your deliveries at your convenience when customers opt to take advantage of our Auto-Fill program. Most of all, we show up when you want us and need us to.
Great referral program.
Refer a friend, neighbor, or family member that uses propane to us and receive $125. In addition, your referral will also receive $125 for switching. It’s that easy.
A local family business committed to you.
We don’t just say it, we do it everyday.
Our goal is to earn and keep your business by offering you our best pricing available year after year.
Combined with our 24 hour service, we would love for you to become our valued residential customer and a member of the Irish Propane family.
Irish Propane is your fair and honest residential propane company.