Higher energy prices are hurting us all, Click here
Certified Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)
BLOG

Keep an Eye on Those Propane Levels!

Gauge

If you are an Irish Propane “will-call” customer (that is, if you schedule your own propane deliveries rather than using automatic delivery), one of the most important responsibilities you have is to keep track of how much propane is in your tank during heating season.

The question is, how do you do it?

Reading a propane tank gauge is actually very easy: look for a round dial that looks like a speedometer at or near the top of the tank, and simply read the number indicated (see photo).

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that an aboveground propane tank is only filled to 80 percent of its capacity; the remaining 20 percent of the tank remains empty to allow the gas to expand as temperatures change (and underground propane tank can be filled to 85 percent, since the ground insulates the tank to keep temperatures relatively consistent). A “full” 320-gallon tank, therefore, only contains about 256 gallons of propane (for a complete list of capacity conversions for common tank sizes, see the chart below).

The most important thing about monitoring your propane gas gauge, though, is to remember to schedule your propane delivery when the tank is no less than one-quarter full – especially when temperatures are trending down here in Buffalo and Rochester. That will give us enough time to get to you before you run out of propane – a hassle and expense you definitely want to avoid.

If you do run out of propane, don’t panic – call Irish Propane for emergency propane service. We will inspect your propane equipment and perform your mandatory leak and pressure test, then get your tank refilled and ready to go.

How many gallons of propane are left in my tank?

Tank Gauge Reads 60 gal tank 125 gal tank 320 gal tank 500 gal tank 1000 gal tank
80% (Full) 48 100 256 400 800
70% 42 87.5 224 350 700
60% 36 75 192 300 600
50% 30 62.5 160 250 500
40% 24 50 160 200 400
30% 18 37.5 96 150 300
25% If your gauge reads 25 percent, contact us for a delivery right away!
20% 12 25 64 100 200
10% 6 12.5 32 50 100

For reliable propane gas delivery in our Buffalo or Rochester service areas, trust the experts at Irish Propane. Contact us today to learn more, or to become an Irish Propane customer.

Irish Propane – Proudly serving our Central and Western New York neighbors with safe, reliable propane deliveries in the Buffalo and Rochester metro areas.

The Irish Family of Companies