Propane vs Oil Heating
Which Is Right for Your Home?
Have you noticed that some of your New York neighbors have switched from heating oil to propane in their homes? There are a lot of reasons propane is a popular fuel for residential uses. If you’re a heating oil customer whose oil tank is nearing the end of its life, now is a great time to consider the benefits of switching to propane in your Central or Western New York home. And if you’re already a propane customer, there are just as many reasons to feel good about the fuel you use in your home.
First of all, there are things propane can do that heating oil simply can’t. For example, you can depend on propane during a storm or whenever the power goes out. Propane can keep your generator running. And a whole-house generator can keep your whole home up and running (from your HVAC equipment to your security system to all the electronic devices you want to keep charged or powered).
And if you’re looking for dependable propane delivery in Central or Western New York, look no further than Irish Propane.
Advantages to Propane
When it comes to propane versus oil heating, there are some advantages to using propane instead of heating oil. Here are some of the reasons propane is a good choice for your New York home.
- Efficiency: The average propane furnace is 90% efficient—or even more. If you have an older heating oil furnace, it may only be 60% efficient. That means you’ll get more out of each dollar spent on propane versus heating oil. Said another way, you can keep your household more comfortable for less money with a more efficient propane heating system versus a less efficient heating oil heating system. Additionally, propane doesn’t degrade with time. Heating oil, on the other hand, loses some of its efficiency if it is allowed to sit unused for too long.
- Maintenance: Oil furnaces require regular inspections and maintenance visits. Those come at a price. There’s very little maintenance to worry about with propane tanks. And they’re built to last for years and years.
- Environmental Impact: If your oil tank starts to leak, it’s a costly problem that will have a negative impact on the environment. You don’t have to worry about leaks when you use propane. Propane is nontoxic. Also, using propane produces significantly less emissions than using heating oil. Propane’s smaller carbon footprint makes it the greener choice.
- Space: A heating oil system takes up significantly more space in your home. And if your family is like most, you need all the space you can get.
- Versatility: Propane is more versatile than heating oil. Heating oil is somewhat of a one trick pony. It can only heat your home and water. Propane can warm your home and water, but it can also do much, much more. It can power appliances like your oven and clothes dryer. It can help you get more out of your backyard by fueling your grill, pool heater, patio heater, or lighting. And if you have a whole-house generator, propane can provide backup power to your home so that you and your family don’t miss a beat during a power outage.
There are a lot of reasons to choose propane for your home, and the professionals at Irish Propane dependably deliver propane to our customers in and around Buffalo and Rochester, New York. We also refill and dispose of propane cylinders.
If you’re looking for a reliable propane supplier in or around the Rochester or Buffalo areas of New York, look no further than Irish Propane. Contact us today to schedule a propane delivery.